Skip to content

Programs : Brochure

  • Locations: Hong Kong, China
  • Program Terms: Academic Year, Fall, Spring
  • Homepage: Click to visit
  • Budget Sheets: Fall, Spring
  • This program is currently not accepting applications.
Dates / Deadlines:

There are currently no active application cycles for this program.
Quick Facts:
Language of Instruction: Chinese, English Class Status: 2. Sophomore, 3. Junior, 4. Senior
SEU GPA Requirement: 2.75 VA Benefits Eligible: Yes
GEO Advisor: Meghan Ryan Likelihood of Placement: Highly Likely
SEU Aid Applies: Yes SEU or Transfer Credit: Transfer Credit
Program Brochure:


Chinese University of Hong Kong

Univ. of Honk Kong

Founded in 1963, The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) is a forward looking comprehensive research university with a global vision and a mission to combine tradition with modernity, and to bring together China and the West. CUHK teachers and students hail from all corners of the world. CUHK graduates are connected worldwide through an expansive alumni network. As a top university in Hong Kong and Asia, CUHK aims to nurture students with both specialized knowledge and wisdom for life. The education experience here is distinguished by a flexible credit unit system, a college system, bilingualism and multiculturalism. There are general education courses to broaden students' perspectives and develop in them the ability to face the challenges of contemporary society. Our eight Faculties offer a wide array of excellent undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.



Sha Tin, Hong Kong


Sha Tin is a city in Eastern Hong Kong, located on the Shing Mun River. The city is home to over 630,000 inhabitants and the stunning 10,000 Buddhas Monastery. Also a short distance from downtown Hong Kong (only a 20 minute drive!), Sha Tin provides the perfect reprieve from the hustle and bustle of the city. Whether you're visiting ancient monasteries or experiencing lively downtown Hong Kong, you're sure to enjoy your time living in this wonderful city!

Downtown Hong Kong 10,000 Buddhists Monastery Chinese University Hong Kong
Downtown Hong Kong 10,000 Buddhas Monastery The Chinese University of Hong Kong




  • Global Studies
  • Communications
  • Marketing
  • Business 
  • General Education 
  • and more! 

Courses at Host University:

Note: Courses offered by the Faculty of Business Administration and the Faculty of Law are very popular. Consider second choices and make backup plans.

Areas of Study 
  • Arts 
  • Business Administration 
  • Education 
  • Engineering 
  • Law
  • Medicine 
  • Science 
  • Social Science 
List of Available Courses Here


Credit System:

Students are offered a maximum of 6 Chinese language credits free of charge.
Exchange students normally take 4-5 courses per academic term.
Credit System is equivalent to US system

Pre-Approved Courses:

Check out the pre-approved course listing here.



Housing Options

On Campus Housing
Additional Housing Information here
On-Campus hostel housing available for exchange students 

Housing will be based on college
Rooms will be shared with one/two other students
Single rooms are not available 

Undergraduate students are affiliated with one of the nine residential Colleges.  The Colleges are congenial communities with own hostels, dining halls and other facilities.  Students receive pastoral care and whole-person education through the Colleges.  Exchange students admitted as undergraduates will become members of one of the nine Colleges and accommodated in shared rooms (double or triple) at the hostels managed by either the Colleges or the International House. 

Morningside College, S.H. Ho College, and C.W. Chu College offer mandatory college communal dinners.  Students will meet with the College representatives and guests three times per week.  This will be a good opportunity for students to interact regularly for meals and conversation.  Therefore, additional meal charge will apply to students of Morningside College, S.H. Ho College, and C.W. Chu College.

College assignment is done randomly but modification will be made manually for balancing the gender ratio and the distribution of nationalities of students.  Students will be asked to indicate their preference on the types of hostels on the online application form – they have to rank their choices among (1) College Hostel, (2) College Hostel with mandatory college communal dinners (additional meal charge applies), and (3) International House (I-House).  As there is an extra cost applied to Morningside College, S.H. Ho College, and C.W. Chu College, we hope that students assigned to these Colleges would be the ones who genuinely have a preference for it.  However, there is no guarantee that students will be assigned to their preferred type of hostel due to limited quota (unless they are from institutions where a formal exchange agreement is set up with a specific College at CUHK). 

Cost and Funding

Cost and Funding

Budget Sheet:

In the above charts, select the budget sheet applying to the semester you are planning to study abroad. This is a budget sheet you can use in planning for your term abroad on your own and/or with your Financial Aid Advisor. Hint: You can download the budget sheet as an Excel file to manipulate the data for your own budget as well.

The budget sheet includes the basics and starting information you will need to understand what costs will generally apply to study abroad. For a more thorough budget template, refer to this template.

Note: All costs external to SEU are estimates and may vary depending on your program selection, personal selection of housing, airfare, and more. It is your responsibility to secure funding for your semester abroad and to communicate with Financial Aid using this budget sheet or whichever budget template you prefer to help plan how aid may or may not apply to study abroad.

Financial Aid:

Under Quick Facts above, there should be a note whether or not SEU Institutional Aid can apply to the program you are viewing.

All SEU Institutional Aid, Federal, and External Scholarships will apply to these programs during the semester. Tuition, Tech Fee, and International Insurance will be billed by St. Edward’s and aid will apply as it usually does in other semesters on campus. Housing and other expenses will be billed externally. Aid might support these costs, but consult your financial aid advisor to discuss specific application to you and your program.


There are many scholarships available for study abroad programs.
  • GEOPAAS: Scholarship offered to SEU students with financial need. You will receive an email from GEO after program placement to encourage you to apply to this scholarship.

  • Lawson: Scholarship offered to SEU students studying abroad in Japan, including APU Dual Degree. You will receive an email from GEO after program placement to encourage you to apply to this scholarship.

  • Gilman: US State Department Scholarship offered to Pell Grant recipients. Fellowships Office on campus will co-advise on this application.

  • Boren: US State Department Scholarship offered to those interested in National Security work post-grad. Fellowships Office on campus will co-advise on this application.

  • Freeman Asia: External scholarship for students studying abroad in Asia. Fellowships Office on campus will co-advise on this application.
More Scholarships available on our website here.

Money in Country:

Hong Kong dollar

Information on Cost of Living in Hong Kong here

Application and Important Dates

Application and Important Dates


All programs have a minimum GPA of a 2.75. If you do not meet the minimum GPA, there is a petition process included in the application

Important Dates:

  Summer & Fall Spring
Pre-Decision Deadline March 1 October 1
Decision/Placement Date March 10 October 10
Post-Decision Deadline May 1 December 1
Pre-Departure Orientation Last Sunday of April Last Sunday of November
or First Sunday of December

How to get in:

Application to semester programs is an application and placement process.

Students will select their top three choice programs from the offered programs on the study abroad portal.

Students should then apply to their top choice program through the portal, noting within that application their second and third choice programs.

Within the top choice application, students should detail their reasoning for each program choice, explaining one’s academic, professional, personal, and extra-curricular goals as they relate to the program choice.

On the Decision Date (listed above) students will be offered placement into the available program if approved for study abroad. Students will then accept their placement and move into the Post-Decision phase of study abroad. Post-Decision includes program acceptance and preparation, both academically and personally, for the program abroad.


GEO Advisor for this program:

Meghan Ryan
Advising Hours: M, T, TH, F 9-11am; 1-3 W 1-4pm
Walk-In Hours: Wednesdays are strictly walk-ins, other hours listed above are appts. first, walk-ins welcome.
Make an advising appointment here.


Passport and Visa

Important Documents



All students who will study abroad are required to hold a passport valid for 6 months past the scheduled end of their study abroad program.

You will not be approved for a study abroad program without a valid passport. If you do not yet have a valid passport, you must apply for one immediately.

For information on applying or renewing passports go to the U.S. Department of State website.

If you are an international student, your home country passport must be valid for 6 months past the end of study abroad as well. Contact your international student advisor for specific information on maintaining your US student status while studying abroad.
The visa is the entry or residency permit that allows you to study or travel within the country of your destination. You are responsible for obtaining your visa and completing the application process for the visa.

Going to the US's State Department Website searching for your country, and looking at the "Entry, Exit, and Visa Requirements" section, you can find a link to the country's consulate where visa information will be found.

Information for Hong Kong is located here for US Passport holders.

If you are an international student, you will need to research the process for the country of your citizenship to obtain a visa for the country of your intended study abroad.

The cost and requirements for obtaining visas vary. It is your responsibility to determine visa requirements for all countries you plan to visit while abroad. This includes countries that you plan to visit before or after your study abroad program.

This program is currently not accepting applications.